Kratom Information – A Healer, Motivator, and More
Kratom, which is also famous by the name of coffee bean tree in some areas of South East Asia, has recently become a center of attention for a wide range of population throughout the world because of its several beneficial properties as a medicinal herb. Being a member of the botanical family Rubiaceae, Kratom is also known by the scientific name of Mitragyna Speciosa. This angiospermic plant, with an average height of 100 feet, features huge green leaves and tiny yellow flowers whose essence is basically responsible for all the therapeutic effects. The warm, humid, tropical regions of South East Asia such as Thailand, Myanmar, Indonesia and Malaysia take pride in cultivating Kratom on a huge scale and use of Kratom has increased widely in the native regions as an alternative to coffee because of its long lasting energizing effects.
The history of Kratom dates back to 19th century when it was first introduced by a Dutch botanist Pieter Willem Korthals. Since then this plant has been celebrated by individuals throughout the world because of its magical properties and therapeutic potential. The fulcrums of all these beneficial effects are the active alkaloids which are the main chemical constituent of Mitragyna Speciosa. About 40 such alkaloids have been discovered so far and some of the commonly known ones are mitragynine, 7-hydroxymitragynine, rhynchophylline, and mitraphylline. The effects are exerted by the activation of opoid receptors by the Kratom alkaloid which is why this drug helps in alleviating pain and enhancing mood. The greatest advantage is the fact that Kratom is not addictive in moderate doses because it blocks the activity of NMDA receptors in the nervous system which are implicated in the process of addiction.
It is important to know the several effects of Kratom on the body before trying to use this drug for your symptoms because of its diverse range of actions and variations in biochemical activity of different strains of this herb.
Kratom’s use as an alternative to coffee indicates the fact that this drug has stimulatory effects on the central nervous system. It is used to enhance focus and increase the vigorous activities in the brain. However stimulatory effects do not include tachycardia or irritability.
- Kratom is used to uplift the cognitive state of an individual and gives a feeling of contentment and euphoria. It produces an optimistic approach and is thus used as an anti-depressant and mood boosting drug.
- Kratom works like magic for individuals who want to enhance their concentration and clear their mind of all the fog and distracting thoughts. Such implications are especially useful for students while studying and for people who engage in tough mental work.
- Larger doses of Kratom are associated with a sedative effect that relieves irritability and anxious state. It is very effective in alleviating physical and mental stress as it calms down the user and reduces nervousness.
- Morphine has always been used as an analgesic but Kratom has widely substituted Morphine because of its similar mechanism of action i.e. activation of opoid receptors to relieve chronic pain which may be due to headaches, arthritis, vasculitis or myalgias. Because of its less addictive potential than other harsh analgesics, it is safer to use.
- Regular use of Kratom has been reported to improve the quality of sleep as it relaxes the ongoing activities in the brain and helps the individual to attain a peaceful state of mind. Statistical analysis has proven that those who use Kratom on a daily basis wake up more refreshed than the control population.
- It reduces the stage fright and uneasiness which is experienced by some individuals when interacting with a large group of people. It is observed that nervous individuals seek relief by the use of this herbal medicine and are able to participate in various social activities.
- Increased libido and enhancement of sexual performance have been reported with the continuous use of Kratom by both men and women. It may also help to prolong the sexual act by heightening the arousal sensations and maintaining them for a long time.
- Use of this ethnobotanical has greatly increased in the past few decades because it helps to reduce the withdrawal symptoms of opiates such as morphine. It detoxifies the system of all the active metabolites of opiates that may be harmful to the system in the long run.
- Hypertensive individuals benefit from this medicinal herb as it lowers the blood pressure and prevents the incidence of myocardial infarction, cerebral strokes and hemorrhage.
- Its anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties help combat infections and keep the immune system in an active state.
- Kratom has excellent anti-oxidant properties and thus prevents the neurons from oxidative stress.
The active compound Catechin which is found in many strains of Kratom is responsible to control blood sugar which makes it really popular for diabetic patients.
Despite the therapeutic effects on almost all the systems of the body, use of Kratom has been associated with a few disadvantages that might limit its use among the patients.
- Exceeding the dosage than the recommended amount can cause symptoms of hangover and abuse such as nausea, anxiety and headache.
- Hyper pigmentation leads to darkening of the skin especially in the axilla, areola, nipples and genial areas.
- Nausea and vomiting can be severe and prolonged and may cause the individual to withdraw from this drug.
- Excessive use can inhibit the gastrointestinal motility which may manifest as constipation.
- Central nervous system side effects can range from headaches and lethargy to delusions, hallucinations and paranoia.
- Spasm of the muscles because of chronic use may lead to respiratory depression, tremors and muscle pain.
- Increased perspiration is a common side effect and may lead to dehydration and electrolyte imbalances.
- Pruritus and itching may occur.
- Kratom has been labeled hepatotoxic because it may cause acute liver injury and jaundice.
- User may experience weight loss and anorexia after regular use.